First of all, I want to thank everybody who took the time to read and comment on my last post — it means a lot to me that you felt safe to share your own struggles, and for those of you who wanted to comment but didn’t feel comfortable, well I totally get that too. I feel like you have my back, and I hope you know I’ve got yours too. Speaking of which, if you’ve got kids home next week for March Break and you’re wondering how you’re going to keep them occupied, I’ve got a surprise giveaway today with Grand & Toy that’s going to help you with that big time.
But first, some random highlights from the past week or so.
1. I love any excuse to buy flowers, and besides the fact that these were on sale at the grocery store for $4 ($4 for all these!), it isn’t every day that you have a superstar interior designer come by. A few months ago I won a design consultation with Amanda Forrest (yes! Amanda Forrest from Marilyn!) and Monday she came over for an hour to look at our living and dining room. (I was terrified that she was going to come with a camera crew but she arrived solo, looking effortlessly chic in a furry-hooded coat, blanket scarf and Hunter rainboots she’d worn on a job site before seeing me.) We discussed a few different ideas for lighting and furniture placement, and she took pictures and measurements. Next she’ll consult with her team and together they’ll create a plan for the space, complete with an itemized list of what we might like to purchase and where we can find them. Fun, right? I can’t wait to see what they come up with!
2. A delicious warm roasted cauliflower and caraway salad from Rachel Khoo’s Kitchen Notebook. So good!
3. Mama has a new toy! I have been wanting one of these cute Instax Mini 8 cameras for so long and this blue fella came in the mail this week from Shop.ca. (Another contest win.) My girlfriend Carolyn says I must have a horseshoe up my butt and maybe so, but it’s random selection. You could be so lucky too!
4. Sunday we made these flower pretzel bites from Two Sisters Crafting. They’re just square pretzels + icing + Smarties (M&M’s for our American friends) + sugar pearls. Super easy craft to do with the littles in your life.
5. Speaking of littles, I have totally been in denial about March Break being next week (you know, because denial is such a good coping strategy) and now I’m wondering what the heck we’re going to do for five days. You too? Well help is here! The thoughtful people at Grand & Toy have put together a March Break Survival Kit to help you keep the kids busy next week. That’s right, it’s giveaway time! One lucky try small things reader will win an $80 prize package filled with everything you need to stock your craft drawers and get your littles creating! The March Break Survival Kit includes:
- Modelling clay
- Hot chocolate
- Scented markers (Mr. Sketch! My fave!)
- Elmer’s glue
- Pencil crayons
- Construction paper
- Exercise books
- Prang paint (ready-to-use Tempera paint)
To enter to win, tell me one thing you’re doing to survive March Break in the comments below.
For a second entry, tweet the following and comment with the link to your tweet. Feel free to tweet once a day, leaving a separate comment for each tweet:
You got this! #Win a March Break Survival Kit ARV $80 from @grandandtoyca & @trysmallthings! Hurry! Ends 3/13 http://wp.me/p4xBed-1cf
For a third entry, follow me on Instagram and tell me your Instagram handle here in the comments.
And whether you win or not, know that you can stock up on craft supplies and find organizational solutions, electronics, small kitchen appliances and more all from the comfort of your home at GrandandToy.com.
The giveaway is open to Canadian residents (excluding Quebec) 18+ and ends this Sunday, March 13, 2016 at midnight EST.
Update March 14, 2016: Congratulations Amy C!
Thanks to my fairy godmother at Grand & Toy, who sent me a March Break Survival Kit too. Hey, I need all the help I can get!
264 responses to “Five things + A giveaway! (Hint: It’ll help you survive March Break)”
tweet for March 11
We are going to take lots of walks and hopefully go to the beach and play a bunch of board games to survive March break
I love spending time outdoors when the warmer weather gets here.I follow you on instagram as/
https://www.instagram.com/cottagebunny/ I have tweeted too.Thanks for the great giveaway and chance to win.
It’s my pleasure! The Parent Spot is giving away a March Break Survival Kit too — maybe you want to try your luck there? 🙂 http://www.theparentspot.com/giveaways/enter-now-win-grand-toy-march-break-survival-kit/
I’m taking time out for myself each evening with a cup of herbal tea to survive march break.
I stalk you on Instagram too @mamalangs5 💜
Those tulips though 💜
Right? I’ve been putting ice cubes in the water with my flowers lately and find they last much longer than they would otherwise, tho I should have cut the stems shorter on these ones so they wouldn’t droop so much. Any tips for prolonging the life of cut flowers, Alayne?
I am actually babysitting some grand kiddies so it has come full circle for me! Help!!!
we will be going for a long day hike
following on instagram. @sapphireraynebow
Will be doing some day trips locally. Then relaxing, baking with my daughter and she has a few birthday parties and sleep overs during spring break.
Tweeted today – https://twitter.com/LuckyAtWinning/status/708358232021049344
I tweeted: https://twitter.com/sharklady71/status/708316085708328960
I have stocked the pantry with good snacks and have planned a few days out in the city.
You got this! 🙂
We are going for long walks to survive the Spring Break.
My kids have a secret path they like to take me to — there’s a tree their Dad lets them climb when they’re with him and steps leading down to water that they like to dip their toes in. Do you have any favourite paths?
I’ll be going for long walks too. Away from my kids. Har har. JUST KIDDING!! Walks are great!!
https://www.instagram.com/beanscoupons/ Following you on Instagram (Sabrina Tong)
https://twitter.com/beanscoupons/status/708310129955868672 (Sabrina Tong)
A group of us will be organizing some activities and play dates for our little ones to keep them busy and distracted. Crafts, science experiments, hiking and other outings.
Now *that’s* organized! So glad you’ve got a tribe, Sabrina! Have a great week!
i have tweeted https://twitter.com/Loributler5/status/708307268186587137
I follow on instagram as @nicolthe_pickle
We’re playing outside a lot. It’s warmer and the kids are enjoying it so much.
It’s only 1 degree here today but it’s supposed to get up to +12 tomorrow, which means lots of time outdoors. Yay! I hope you continue to have great weather over March Break!
My kids have canvassed the family and have set up sleep overs throughout the week so I will hopefully get to relax.
I am following you on Instagram @homewithaneta
Love your pics and nice to see that the flowers are enjoyed by not just us humans. Looking forward to hearing more about the possible recreation of your dining room.
I *might* have nestled a cat treat inside that one tulip to get Benny in the shot. 🙂 Stylist tricks.
I plan on reading a good book and spending plenty of time outside .
watching movies and relaxing
I will stay at home.
I tweeted for a second entry.
It would be great to win a March Break Survival Kit.
In response to your question of
What is one thing you’re doing to survive March Break?
One thing i am doing is watching movies i haven’t seen before and just relaxing.
Thank you for having this giveaway.
I follow on instagram 🙂
Weather permitting, we plan on going to a different park to play every day over Easter break!
This is my instagram https://www.instagram.com/daddysask/
The pool and water slide and have fun!
Sorry commented twice, I had problem logging in!
I will spending some time outdoors in the nice Spring weather.
I have planned the week out for the kids so they don’t get bored
We will be going to the pool and have fun!
Following you – on instagram I am @serendipitysuzi
My evenings during spring break will be spent reading or watching netflix.
My tweet – https://twitter.com/LuckyAtWinning/status/708141051207356416