What are you up to today? It’s raining cats and dogs and frogs outside and I really should run down to Shoppers for some cat food (my guy’s got dry food so he’s not starving or anything, but it’s the wet stuff he really likes) but instead I’m curled up with my laptop here across from my kiddos while they watch episode after episode of Looney Tunes. And I should do some cleaning, but James is having a friend over this afternoon for a playdate so whatever, it can wait. Here’s five things from the past week or so. … Five things
Yesterday I spent a pleasant couple of hours in the flow writing cards to some of the sweetest people in my world. It makes me happy knowing they’re going to find something bright and cheerful in the mail, just like I do every month with my stationery subscription from A Beautiful Mess. I love the Beautiful Mess girls and just about everything they do. Last summer they announced they’re working on a cookbook (yay!) but it’ll probably be another year and a half before it comes out (boo). Here’s four other highlights from last week. … Five things
Yesterday we skipped spring and went straight to summer — any hotter and the chickens would’ve been laying hard-boiled eggs. Which didn’t thrill me exactly — I like more temperate climes — but we’re back in the teens today so it’s all good. Here’s a quick five things to start us off on a good foot this week. … Five things
First of all, I want to thank everybody who took the time to read and comment on my last post — it means a lot to me that you felt safe to share your own struggles, and for those of you who wanted to comment but didn’t feel comfortable, well I totally get that too. I feel like you have my back, and I hope you know I’ve got yours too. Speaking of which, if you’ve got kids home next week for March Break and you’re wondering how you’re going to keep them occupied, I’ve got a surprise giveaway today with Grand & Toy that’s going to help you with that big time. … Five things + A giveaway! (Hint: It’ll help you survive March Break)
I started my wrapping last night and not surprisingly, there’s going to be a lot of books under the tree this year. It’s my favourite gift to give and receive! And today I’ve got one for you too! Wrap it up for a crafty friend or call it a wee present for yourself. You’ve been good this year, haven’t you? … Five things + A giveaway!
What happened to all of our beautiful fall colours? It’s been so windy the past couple of days that most of them are already off the trees. Before I go pick up the rake, here’s a couple of notes on recent happenings. … Five things
We had our big Thanksgiving dinner last night so we’ve been pretty low-key today. The menfolk have been watching Bob Vila’s Home Again on the Interwebs (can you believe it’s 25 years old?), the kiddos playing with Lego, and me baking all the things. How was your day? … Five things
If you follow me on Instagram you might recognize most of these photos but here (and only here!) can you get the scoop behind the pictures. Okay not really. You can also get it on Instagram. But sometimes I fill in different details here too, so you should still read my Five Things. Heck you’re here, so you must want to. 🙂 Read on then! Don’t let me get in your way!
1. Speed-walking to school, as we do most mornings. How can we get almost everything ready the night before and still take so long getting out the door? Tell me I’m not alone in this. What hurries things along for you?
2. I can’t get over these emoji cookies from A Couple of Squares. The London, Ontario bakery supplies to The Second Cup near our dentist, so we picked up a few after our last visit. And then brushed our teeth really well.
3. Well we already know Mindy Kaling has an amazing sense of style, but did you know she’s also got a brilliant eye for decor? I love her feature in the latest issue of Domino. And may I just say I’m so glad the magazine’s back? Now we just need them to put out another book!
4. This cutie is one of the Minted prints I’ll be showing you in an upcoming post about transitioning your decor to fall/winter. Don’t you love?
5. I’ve started a six-week bootcamp at the gym three mornings a week and let me tell you, it’s a killer. Or I am super out of shape. Or maybe both. Today I managed to squeak out a few more push-ups than I did in the first class on Monday so I can already see some progress. Yay! (Everything hurts but still, yay!) Do you amp up your fitness routine in the fall?
Hope you’re having a good week, everybody! Talk to you again really soon.
I love these kind of round-up posts for a Sunday, only it’s already Tuesday. I’m gonna blame the heat. All I want to do is nap. But I also want to see what’s in my first Birchbox, and I told myself I could only open it after I’d written my post. Do you do that too? Set up little rewards for yourself? Honestly I am soooo tempted to open it but no, nope! I’ll press on. Here are some of the things we’ve been up to lately.
1. We finally made the marbled clay ring dishes from A Beautiful Mess. (I’ve been wanting to make them since they were posted last November.) Lily said it was the most fun craft ever! Word to the wise: don’t try to remove the clay from the bowls you baked them in until both are cool. You’ll burn yourself (guilty!) and might tear the clay (did that too). I say “tear” because they’re kind of pliable, rather than rock hard like I thought they’d be. But they still do the job and they’re cute, so it’s all good.
2. The watermelon popsicles from Eat Yourself Skinny were a little bit more difficult. The popsicles melted so quickly (seriously, it’s hot here) that they fell apart every time I tried to take a picture and we probably went through three or four before I finally got this one. The green part is supposed to be lime sherbet but nobody here likes it so I used vanilla pudding with a little food colouring instead. The “seeds” are chocolate chips. Cute eh?
3. A couple of weeks ago we taught the kids to play backgammon and they are totally obsessed. I’m so happy to see they like it. It’s the same set I spent hours and hours playing on with my grandmother when I was their age.
Now to open my goodies! I’ll tell you more about it in another post.
Have a great day, everybody. Stay cool.