Julieanne created a custom map for me in exchange for this post.
Today’s post has been a few months in the making, so I’m really excited to finally be able to introduce you to a wonderful map maker and visual artist, Julieanne Murphy-Steedman of Heirloom Island. Julieanne and I have been following each other on Instagram since our friend Christine of Life on Manitoulin connected us a few years ago (it may be longer or shorter than that — my long-term memory is pretty crap and my short-term one’s not much better, ha ha) but it wasn’t until this spring that Julieanne reached out about collaborating. I love her work — her new series of maps of Ontario towns and cities fantastic! — so it’s been a pleasure to get to know her a little bit by email and share this interview with you. Julieanne mentions a couple of venues where you can meet her at the end of the post, but I’d love to flag the Ottawa one here again. You can catch her at Etsy Made in Canada at Carleton University’s Fieldhouse from September 27 to 29. Now to the Q&A! … Meet the Maker: Northern Ontario artist Julieanne Murphy-Steedman of Heirloom Island + A giveaway!
For a long while I was big on picture frames. Then candle holders. Now bud vases. But I’ve always loved stationery — for ever and ever! — and what better day than the first of May to share a little happy mail mayl? I’ve put together a baker’s dozen of my favourite cards to send to one of you, super fun sentiments from Kate Spade, ban.do, A Beautiful Mess, and more. 💌 … You’ve got MAYL 💌 + A giveaway!
Foxy Originals sent me some shiny things to facilitate this post. All opinions are my own and from the heart.
As much as I want to pack my winter coat away in the basement and not look at it again for another eight months, this weekend’s fresh snow makes me think we’re still a few weeks out yet. Which isn’t the end of the world but still, I feel like I’m not the only one who could use a pick-me-up to get me through. Luckily my friends at Foxy Originals were happy to help me out. Today I’ve got a look at my favourite pieces from their new (and very sunshiney) Spring/Summer collection, and a giveaway to share with two of you. So fun, right? I feel better already. … My faves from Foxy Originals’ new Spring/Summer collection + A giveaway!
First of all, I want to thank everybody who took the time to read and comment on my last post — it means a lot to me that you felt safe to share your own struggles, and for those of you who wanted to comment but didn’t feel comfortable, well I totally get that too. I feel like you have my back, and I hope you know I’ve got yours too. Speaking of which, if you’ve got kids home next week for March Break and you’re wondering how you’re going to keep them occupied, I’ve got a surprise giveaway today with Grand & Toy that’s going to help you with that big time. … Five things + A giveaway! (Hint: It’ll help you survive March Break)
If DIY failures have made you think about swearing off crafting forever, Joselyn Hughes is going to make you think again. And pee laughing while you’re doing it. Just a few pages into Joselyn’s DIY, DAMMIT! A Practical Guide to Curse-Free Crafting and I was annoying my hubby reading funny bits aloud and wanting to make all the things. There’s 35 easy, affordable and good-looking crafts for gifting, organizing, wearing, decorating and entertaining, plus a quiz to help you find out what kind of crafter you are (I love quizzes!), what to drink while crafting (ha!) and what to do when disaster strikes. And more! So what to make first? The platter with panache? Beer in a poncho? (See, the crafts even sound funny. Dammit she’s good!) … DIY, DAMMIT! A Practical Guide to Curse-Free Crafting + Win a copy!
I love these kind of round-up posts for a Sunday, only it’s already Tuesday. I’m gonna blame the heat. All I want to do is nap. But I also want to see what’s in my first Birchbox, and I told myself I could only open it after I’d written my post. Do you do that too? Set up little rewards for yourself? Honestly I am soooo tempted to open it but no, nope! I’ll press on. Here are some of the things we’ve been up to lately.
1. We finally made the marbled clay ring dishes from A Beautiful Mess. (I’ve been wanting to make them since they were posted last November.) Lily said it was the most fun craft ever! Word to the wise: don’t try to remove the clay from the bowls you baked them in until both are cool. You’ll burn yourself (guilty!) and might tear the clay (did that too). I say “tear” because they’re kind of pliable, rather than rock hard like I thought they’d be. But they still do the job and they’re cute, so it’s all good.
2. The watermelon popsicles from Eat Yourself Skinny were a little bit more difficult. The popsicles melted so quickly (seriously, it’s hot here) that they fell apart every time I tried to take a picture and we probably went through three or four before I finally got this one. The green part is supposed to be lime sherbet but nobody here likes it so I used vanilla pudding with a little food colouring instead. The “seeds” are chocolate chips. Cute eh?
3. A couple of weeks ago we taught the kids to play backgammon and they are totally obsessed. I’m so happy to see they like it. It’s the same set I spent hours and hours playing on with my grandmother when I was their age.
4. A Beautiful Mess regrammed this picture I posted on Instagram and it’s had something crazy like 5,800 likes. The print was in the last Happy Mail. Don’t you love?
5. And my girl Aneta and I have a flash giveaway happening here on Instagram for a $20 gift card to Home Depot. Quick, hop over! It ends tomorrow at 5 pm. Canadian residents only svp.
Now to open my goodies! I’ll tell you more about it in another post.
If August is the Sunday of summer, it’s high time to start thinking about putting down some of the season’s bounty. And I’ve got just the book to help you do it. It’s The Canning Kitchen by Amy Bronee. Penguin Random House Canada Limited sent me and nine other lucky food bloggers a copy to review and are providing 10 additional copies to share with you! Whether you’re new to canning like me or an old pro, you’ll want to add it to your cookbook collection. … The Canning Kitchen blog tour + A giveaway!
School’s out and summer’s officially here! What’s in store for the weekend, everybody? My kiddos are away visiting family for a couple of days so I’m catching up on some reading, doing a lot of cleaning (it’s really the only time I feel like I can make some headway) and going out to dinner tonight with girlfriends from the neighbourhood. Here’s a look at some of the goings-on in the past week or two. … Five things + A giveaway!