I love these kind of round-up posts for a Sunday, only it’s already Tuesday. I’m gonna blame the heat. All I want to do is nap. But I also want to see what’s in my first Birchbox, and I told myself I could only open it after I’d written my post. Do you do that too? Set up little rewards for yourself? Honestly I am soooo tempted to open it but no, nope! I’ll press on. Here are some of the things we’ve been up to lately.
1. We finally made the marbled clay ring dishes from A Beautiful Mess. (I’ve been wanting to make them since they were posted last November.) Lily said it was the most fun craft ever! Word to the wise: don’t try to remove the clay from the bowls you baked them in until both are cool. You’ll burn yourself (guilty!) and might tear the clay (did that too). I say “tear” because they’re kind of pliable, rather than rock hard like I thought they’d be. But they still do the job and they’re cute, so it’s all good.
2. The watermelon popsicles from Eat Yourself Skinny were a little bit more difficult. The popsicles melted so quickly (seriously, it’s hot here) that they fell apart every time I tried to take a picture and we probably went through three or four before I finally got this one. The green part is supposed to be lime sherbet but nobody here likes it so I used vanilla pudding with a little food colouring instead. The “seeds” are chocolate chips. Cute eh?
3. A couple of weeks ago we taught the kids to play backgammon and they are totally obsessed. I’m so happy to see they like it. It’s the same set I spent hours and hours playing on with my grandmother when I was their age.
4. A Beautiful Mess regrammed this picture I posted on Instagram and it’s had something crazy like 5,800 likes. The print was in the last Happy Mail. Don’t you love?
5. And my girl Aneta and I have a flash giveaway happening here on Instagram for a $20 gift card to Home Depot. Quick, hop over! It ends tomorrow at 5 pm. Canadian residents only svp.
Now to open my goodies! I’ll tell you more about it in another post.
Have a great day, everybody. Stay cool.
Sorry, did you say something? I’ve had my head in a book the past couple of weeks and I feel like half of me is elsewhere. Which is so wonderful, isn’t it? When was the last time you got lost in a great book?
I started Emma Hooper’s Etta and Otto and Russell and James one night last week and stayed up ’til 1 in the morning to finish it. And wanted to start it all over again, it was that good. I’ll tell you more about it this week.
What do you think about the Nate Berkus pillow in front? I obsessed about it for a couple of weeks before bringing it home to try it out. Hubs thinks it’s too 80s, but I’m kind of liking how it contrasts with the black and white pillow and picks up on the peach in the brick. I’m just wondering if I’ll tire of it. What do you think? Keep, or return to Target while I still can? (I’ve got two of them.)
So happy to see the Valentine candy at the Bulk Barn. Hearts are cute year-round!
Happiness is finding a leftover cupcake in the fridge, this one from ThimbleCakes.
And January’s Happy Mail is here! I’m sending some of this month’s collection to Aneta, Carolyn, Janey, Brian, Linda and Renee. Would you like some happy mail too? Email your name and address to me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll pop a note in the mail to the first 10 people to respond, wherever you are in the world.
Have a great week, everybody!
Besides getting back to the gym (I’ve been once in the past month, oy vey!), one thing I’d like to do in the new year is send more snail mail. I love sitting down with a tea and writing to a friend, even if we see each other on the regular. A big part of the fun is choosing just the right card or stationery. And lookie here! A whole lotta right just arrived in the mail!
It’s Happy Mail, the new paper goods subscription service from A Beautiful Mess. I ordered the December pack to try it out, ‘tho I already knew I would totally love it. Do you want to see what’s inside?
Oooh, so perfect for a crafty friend! It would look pretty cute framed too.
Can you guess what this says? My mom taught me finger spelling when I was a kid and it stuck with me, so I got it in a minute or two.
That’s right! Thinking of you!
“Brunch” as a verb. Love this one.
And some cute sticker tabs! These are going to be so fun to use in my planner!
And there’s more! You can see the entire contents here in this video. The girls do one around the 10th of each month so you can know exactly what you’re getting. They’re also working on a subscription service for scrapbooking supplies, which I am totally going to try out for you guys. Um, even ‘tho I don’t scrapbook. But I might be so inspired I’ll start!
Do you like to send snail mail too? What do you want to do more often in the new year?